Improve the OOP ABI

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 02:33:33 UTC 2024

On Monday, 22 January 2024 at 23:31:16 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Monday, 22 January 2024 at 22:44:20 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 1/22/2024 1:11 PM, Bruce Carneal wrote:
>>> Blake3 might be worth a look.  It's reportedly faster and
>>> stronger than md5.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/BLAKE3-team/BLAKE3
>>
>> Thanks for the tip. I don't know how to evaluate a hash
>> function for uniqueness.
>
> Blake is > 128 bits, so I don't think there is anything really
> interesting there anyways.

It's probably possible to take just the first (or last) 128 bits
of BLAKE3 and the result might have better properties than MD5
(considering that MD5 is broken). There are some answers related
to "truncated hash" on the Internet about SHA-256, but any
cryptographically secure hash is likely to be similar in this
aspect:
https://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/161/should-i-use-the-first-or-last-bits-from-a-sha-256-hash/163#163