No Privacy Policy in D tools (dmd, dub, phobos, etc)

Arafel er.krali at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 13:07:26 UTC 2024

On 24/1/24 13:49, aberba wrote:
> Dub does indeed collect user data. Besides, having a privacy policy goes
> beyond that. See
> https://foundation.rust-lang.org/policies/privacy-policy/
> <https://foundation.rust-lang.org/policies/privacy-policy/>

I would like to point out that, at least in the EU, IP addresses are
considered personal data under the GDPR [1]. This doesn't automatically
mean that you need to ask for consent from your users*, but you might
need to add a privacy policy on the website to inform them.

It also affects the dlang.org website, and even more so the forum web
interface, where there is a registration that clearly involves personal
data (as related to the GDPR).

I'm not sure how this applies to sites hosted outside the EU, but as
long as you target EU users it wouldn't hurt to just add one. There are
a lot of templates around that you can use.

Incidentally, this has interesting consequences when, for instance
google fonts (or any other external resource) are hot-linked directly
and not self-hosted. Then, according to at least a German Court [2], you
are *transferring* collected personal information (the IP address) to a
third party (google).

IANAL, so I have no idea of how this applies to the DLF, who I assume
sits in the US, but I thought it might be of interest.

*:  You likely don't if you only do what is needed to keep the server
running and healthy.

[1]:
https://commission.europa.eu/law/law-topic/data-protection/reform/what-personal-data_en#examples-of-personal-data
[2]: https://www.cookieyes.com/documentation/google-fonts-and-gdpr/