Should I invest time in D?

FairEnough FairEnough at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 23:40:35 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 17 January 2024 at 07:19:28 UTC, Lars Johansson
wrote:
> With the post 'Cloning D', it looks like Pandora's box has
> opened.
> I do not want to be a part of such community and the future of
> D does not look good. The alternatives do not look good either.
> Immature, boring, too restrictive etc. Is assembler the choice
> if you want to add a low level language to your Intel toolbox?
> I'm seventy one, so I do not have all the time in the world.  I
> have procrastinated too long already. My humble question is
> 'Why should I use D?'. I am greatful for any polite answer:)

"if a system is too complicated to use, many features will go
unused because no one has time to learn them".

D does have considerable complexity.

Maybe D does need a fork, called.. SimpleD

But in the meantime, you'll have to navigate D carefully, and
learn those things which are relevant to your goals.

If learning *all* of language is your goal, you may need more
time than you've got ;-)

On the otherhand, D's complexity will ensure those neurons keep
firing, for many decades to come - and that in itself is a good
thing.