The forked elephant in the room

FairEnough FairEnough at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 04:20:12 UTC 2024

On Friday, 19 January 2024 at 15:05:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> ..
> ImportC is not a language change, and so did not require a DIP.
> ... It had no impact on anyone who wasn't interested in it.
> ... A good proxy for how useful a feature is is the quantity of
> bugzilla issues submitted, and ImportC has had a lot of them!
> (317 submitted, 274 resolved)

A feature pulled in, essentially without any community
involvement at the time, has resulted in 317+ bugs being
summitted, and in addition, peoples time (perhaps mostly yours)
spent resolving at least 274 of them.

And you're justification is.. "ImportC is not a language change,
and so did not require a DIP."

As a developer in the team at my business, if you had done this,
then you would have been promptly shown the door.

btw. None of the above is a comment about the usefulness of
ImportC, or not. It's about the impact of change that was never
presented to the community before it got pulled.

And those that pulled it are as much to blame.

Would such a thing still occur today? (that is a question I don't
know the answer to).