The forked elephant in the room

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 11:23:45 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 28 January 2024 at 04:20:12 UTC, FairEnough wrote:
> On Friday, 19 January 2024 at 15:05:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> ..
>> ImportC is not a language change, and so did not require a
>> DIP. ... It had no impact on anyone who wasn't interested in
>> it.
>> ... A good proxy for how useful a feature is is the quantity
>> of bugzilla issues submitted, and ImportC has had a lot of
>> them! (317 submitted, 274 resolved)
>
> A feature pulled in, essentially without any community
> involvement at the time, has resulted in 317+ bugs being
> summitted, and in addition, peoples time (perhaps mostly yours)
> spent resolving at least 274 of them.
>
> And you're justification is.. "ImportC is not a language
> change, and so did not require a DIP."
>
> As a developer in the team at my business, if you had done
> this, then you would have been promptly shown the door.

But this where you get it wrong. This is not a business. The
thing about D is that everyone works on what they want to work
on. and its perfectly valid for Walter to work on whatever
motivates him.

It took me a while to grasp this about the D eco-system, but its
key to getting your expectations right. If you want a business
like focused approach that managed top-down, this is not it.