The forked elephant in the room

FairEnough FairEnough at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 22:02:20 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 28 January 2024 at 11:23:45 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:

> ..
> But this where you get it wrong. This is not a business. The
> thing about D is that everyone works on what they want to work
> on. and its perfectly valid for Walter to work on whatever
> motivates him.
>
> It took me a while to grasp this about the D eco-system, but
> its key to getting your expectations right. If you want a
> business like focused approach that managed top-down, this is
> not it.

So I am pretty sure I fully understand the concept of opensource
and also the concept of people volunteering their time to it. I
don't need lessons in that ;-)

I have assumed, perhaps wrongly, that (at the time of that PR)
there were other people volunteering their time to the compiler
as well, besides Walter. In that were true, then a team based
approach would not be consistent with slipping this PR in, more
or less without warning.

In any case, as I said, my comment is not about the PR itself,
but the manner in which it was pulled. Even in an opensource
project like this, team work remains the key to its success. To
me, the way the PR found its way into the compiler, suggest
either no team existed, or team work was not a priority.

I understand that this is just my view, and not necessarily how
it is. But it's my view that matters to me ;-)