No Privacy Policy in D tools (dmd, dub, phobos, etc)

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 06:36:50 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 28 January 2024 at 13:16:34 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 January 2024 at 22:53:02 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> The site search is a google applet. Google surely tracks it.
>>
>> The books page on the D wiki has affiliate links to books
>> about D, with the DLF as the beneficiary. Amazon surely tracks
>> it.
>>
>> Bugzilla is maintained independently by Brad Roberts.
>>
>> The D forums have a login, and so must keep track of passwords
>> and chosen names. You can access it via any NNTP app, which
>> does not have a login, if you prefer. I recommend using a
>> unique password for the D forums. The messages posted are all
>> public (which is kinda the point!).
>>
>> From time to time, a user will ask that all their postings be
>> removed from the forums. We've complied, but since it's an
>> NNTP server with the addition of a mailing list, we cannot do
>> anything about copies that have been already transmitted.
>>
>> The web site itself keeps track of aggregate usage statistics,
>> such as which pages are most clicked on.
>
> This is essentially what the content of the Privacy Policy on
> dlang.org would tell, but I'm no expert. The spirit of GDPR is
> to let people know what happens with their personal data,
> considered as a resource to protect.

A privacy policy is necessary nonetheless. I hope the DLF at
least talks to a legal expert. Also information is certainly
being collected through dub registry and forum. It doesn't matter
how you handle that data, you still need a privacy policy to tell
users that like you said.