Zig's Andrew Kelley: "The compiler is too dam slow, that's why we have bugs..."

user1234 user1234 at 12.de
Mon Jan 29 23:43:43 UTC 2024

On Monday, 29 January 2024 at 20:51:19 UTC, Don Allen wrote:
> On Monday, 29 January 2024 at 08:04:57 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
>> I'm glad Andrew too has realized in what order to fix things -
>> we all should consider performance-problems bugs.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/5eL_LcxwwHg?t=565
>
> He thinks they have bugs because the compiler is too slow? That
> is truly remarkable.
>
> Does Rust accumulate open bugs at the rate we have been seeing
> for years in the Zig project? The Rust compiler is far slower
> than the Zig compiler. I've used them both. Haskell? GHC is
> pretty slow, too.
>
> I'm surprised by this, because Andrew usually seems like a
> smart, sensible guy. Had he said "We've got lot of bugs.
> Speeding up the compiler would help to increase the rate at
> which we can fix them" I wouldn't have reacted this way.
> Perhaps that's what he meant. But that's not what he said.
>
> And I can tell you from personal experience that the open bugs
> are a big issue with Zig. Every time I've checked in with Zig
> (it's been three or four years) and tried to use it, I run into
> a serious problem with the compiler. Zig is not good enough yet
> for production work
> [...]

How many times this would have to be repeated: A software with no
bugs is a software that is not used or tested. It's pretty common
to see a huge amount of bugs opened in the bug tracker of a
programming language (sure when it's a mono-repo, that can be
dramatically big).

- LLVM, clang: 20,530 k
- SWIFT: 6,279 k
- etc.

Just to say the count of bug is not the metric you think it is.
Amount of bugs can also say "very popular product". People use it
and find problems.

I tend to think that the ratio opened/closed is a better metric,
assuming tickets have something to say: do they go into the wall
? do they manage the problems ? Are they falling into a black
hole ? etc.