Zig's Andrew Kelley: "The compiler is too dam slow, that's why we have bugs..."

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 01:33:03 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 00:41:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> D has the advantage of simple persistence. With enough
> persistence, you can chop down an oak tree with a cauliflower.

I would prefer not to cut down an oak tree with anything.

So while I don't like your metaphor, I do think you have a point.
I have had the impression that the Zig guys are a bit making it
up as they go along. I wonder how many, Andrew included, have
written compilers before this one. I don't know the answer. But
if this is their first, it's likely part of the explanation for
the problems.

I'm quite sure that your long experience in compiler writing has
had a very positive effect on DMD's internals.