The forked elephant in the room

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 16:26:48 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 15:58:46 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 15:53:50 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 15:44:28 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, here's an early discussion. Not exactly the same, but
>>> in the ballpark:
>>>
>>> https://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/22625.html
>>>

>> And here's the earliest discussion of an ImportC-style thing
>> that I can find (2006):
>>
>> https://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/35483.html
>>
>>> Why not enable dmd to "import" C header files directly?
>>
>> One of the commenters listed this as a point against:
>>
>>> 2. Writers of other D compilers will feel compelled to build
>>> in a C compiler so that they can compile such projects.
>
> Does it really matter?

The history of programming languages is interesting in itself and
it's good to acknowledge those making progress.  It's also good
to adopt/adapt the pioneering work of others.  I'd also note that
many programmers come to previously discovered good ideas
independently.

OTOH, I think we've all known people who have made false claims
in this area.  I'd rather associate with those who don't.

So, yes, I think it matters but I don't see it as a big problem
within the D community itself.