Zig's Andrew Kelley: "The compiler is too dam slow, that's why we have bugs..."

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 01:24:35 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 17:12:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It would certainly slow me down if the edit-compile-debug loop
> of the compiler was longer than a few seconds.

Yes, of course it would. But would you attribute bugs
accumulating at too fast a rate **solely** to "the compiler is
too damned slow" and make a public announcement about this
epiphany?

The Zig compiler, which I've used a fair amount, including the
new self-hosted non-llvm version, is not as fast as DMD, but it's
not that far off. It is nowhere near as slow as the Rust compiler
or GHC. Neither the Rust project nor the GHC project is
accumulating bugs at the rate the Zig project is.