What ever happened to move semantics?

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 21:10:12 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 29 February 2024 at 04:24:02 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> I do share your concern, Don. I worry that we know so well how
> C++ does it that we can't conceive of a better way. If we
> cannot do mucho better than C++ with this, why are we using D?
>
> D already does some things so much better than C++ by thinking
> "dammit there's got to be a better way than this mess!"
>
> Things like no ADL, decent modules, simple template syntax,
> easy to understand overloading, context-free grammar, slices,
> etc.

I've expressed sentiments like this before, Walter, most recently
at the time of the fork kerfuffle. I really value your careful,
let's-think-it-through engineer's approach regarding the
evolution of D. I'm not suggesting that the young-uns are always
wrong. Quite the contrary; there are some very bright young
people pushing D in various ways. The problem is that they aren't
always right, which creates a wheat-from-the-chaff role for the
project leader, sometimes requiring rejecting changes backed by
many and other times implementing things that lack enthusiastic
support, e.g, ImportC, which I hope people are beginning to
understand that it is a major asset for D. I think you are doing
a superb job of walking this fine line.