Google's take on memory safety

RazvanN razvan.nitu1305 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 09:19:20 UTC 2024

I stumbled upon this. Here is the abstract:

"2022 marked the 50th anniversary of memory safety
vulnerabilities, first reported by Anderson et al. Half a century
later, we are still dealing with memory safety bugs despite
substantial investments to improve memory unsafe languages. Like
others', Google’s data and internal vulnerability research show
that memory safety bugs are widespread and one of the leading
causes of vulnerabilities in memory-unsafe codebases. Those
vulnerabilities endanger end users, our industry, and the broader
society. At Google, we have decades of experience addressing, at
scale, large classes of vulnerabilities that were once similarly
prevalent as memory safety issues. Based on this experience we
expect that high assurance memory safety can only be achieved via
a Secure-by-Design approach centered around comprehensive
adoption of languages with rigorous memory safety guarantees. We
see no realistic path for an evolution of C++ into a language
with rigorous memory safety guarantees that include temporal
safety. As a consequence, we are considering a gradual transition
of C++ code at Google towards other languages that are memory
safe. Given the large volume of pre-existing C++, we believe it
is nonetheless necessary to improve the safety of C++ to the
extent practicable. We are considering transitioning to a safer
C++ subset, augmented with hardware security features like MTE."

Here is the full paper:
https://storage.googleapis.com/gweb-research2023-media/pubtools/pdf/70477b1d77462cfffc909ca7d7d46d8f749d5642.pdf

RazvanN