Google's take on memory safety

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Wed Mar 6 21:34:45 UTC 2024

On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 09:16:23PM +0000, Sergey via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 March 2024 at 19:13:26 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > languages are on their way out. It may take another 20 years, or it
> > may take 50 years, but make no mistake, their demise will
>
> Some CEOs expecting in 5 years nobody will need programming because of
> AI :)
> And AI will be banned to use “unsafe” code :)
[...]

What people are calling "AI" these days is nothing but a glorified
interpolation algorithm, boosted by having access to an internet's load
of data it can interpolate from to give it a superficial semblance of
"intelligence".  The algorithm is literally unable to produce correct
code besides that which has already been written (and published online)
by someone else.  Ask it to write code that has an existing, correct
implementation, and you have a chance of getting correct, working code.
Ask it to write something that has never been written before... I'd
really look into taking up life insurance before putting the resulting
code in production.

Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things, because that would also stop them from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn