DMD backend generation future with the new AI race processor

Hipreme msnmancini at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 10 19:40:43 UTC 2024

Hello guys.
I've been following some of the tech tendencies, and there is
just like a bunch of hints that looks like Microsoft is looking
to develop their own processors based on ARM64. And I would
guess, more enterprises could come to that since there is:

1. The new AI race happening, with NVidia stocks sky rocketing,
and there's almost no competitor to it.
2. Apple has moved already to ARM64 and developing their own
things.
3. There is a high possibility that also on game industry things
move to that way too

Currently, although we have LDC, I would expect things to start
becoming harsh to DMD. I'm a little concerned because this looks
like a big tendency of the future and I saw no movement on that.
I'm not requesting for anyone to develop that specially because I
myself can't, but I would like to at least bring to people what
is happening.

I think that if that work is not done in DMD, or people do not
pretend to work on that and if those rumors really become true, I
would guess that there is a high possibility of people dropping
DMD for using LDC or of DMD project being merged with LDC, which
could also break one of the biggest advantages of using D - the
fast compilation