Google's take on memory safety

Carl Sturtivant sturtivant at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 00:28:52 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 9 March 2024 at 02:33:16 UTC, Gregor Mückl wrote:
> This isn't going to happen in this century.
>
> You're talking about an absolutely *gigantic* amount of
> software - an utterly, unfathomably, big amount. Many thousand
> lifetimes' worth of work.
>
> It would be a major miracle if even a single one of these
> chunks of software would get replaced by a rewrite from scratch
> within the next one or two decades.

There's a hidden assumption that this task has to be accomplished
the way that software was originally written, and not largely
automated.

ImportC is an illustration of a strong beginning of such, so that
C can gradually be D'ified and, en route, made safer. Moving C to
D largely automatically is looking like a real prospect now,
making the impossible complete rewrite into something quite
different.

If D reaches a place where human assisted automatic translation
of C source to D source is mostly just automatic, then it becomes
a strong contender to solve a significant fraction of the problem
by an unexpected route. As I see it, ImportC is a hint about the
future.