Google's take on memory safety

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 11 09:41:16 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 6 March 2024 at 21:34:27 UTC, matheus wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 March 2024 at 19:13:26 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> I think you're being too harsh with Linus Torvalds, back in the
> day I really think he was right regarding C vs C++ battle.
>
> A couple of years ago he even agreed with some Rust experiments
> in the Kernel and pointed out some problems later too.
>
> He is a technical person, he usually point out flaws very
> correctly.
>
> Matheus.

On top of this, Linus knows that he needs to accept the ever
changing industry. He wont be a maintainer forever. He has to
pass the torch at some point. Younger developers coming in are
less likely "C experts" or have interest doing so when we have
languages like Rust. I am sure this factors in (with other
reasons) why the kernel needs to remain relevant for the new
generation.

The number of C gurus will shrink in the next 20 years, which is
likely to align with the transition in the Linux kernel to
another language. Rust is likely to gain more responsibility in
the kernel at this point, and unlikely to be any other language
(in my opinion)

 From what I have seen, Linus seems pretty level headed towards
Rust. I dont think he has any interest learning it. Behind the
curtains he might hate the language as much as he does C++. It is
moving with the times.