Memory safe in D

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Mon Mar 11 10:31:05 UTC 2024

On 11/03/2024 11:20 PM, Alex wrote:
> Oh... looks like null is also used for refs in D. It's sad :)
> I thought it used only for pointers in unsafe mode.
> I think, the null safety feature is very important in modern world
> (maybe "must have" :) ). Very nice to have such feature in D like in
> Kotlin for example.
> So, as I understand, D team have the task in TODO list about
> implementation something like "null safety"?

I'm not sure I'd call myself part of the core D team (although I have
another proposal that is currently going through the DIP process that
would certainly qualify me for the title!).

However in saying that, memory safety is on the foundation's radar as
needing solving.

I'm just the weirdo that is having a go at trying to solve temporal
memory safety (an unsolved problem!).