Google's take on memory safety

Dodobird doseiai at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 00:43:37 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 6 March 2024 at 10:46:48 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 March 2024 at 09:42:22 UTC, Sergey wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 6 March 2024 at 09:19:20 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
>>
>>> We see no realistic path for an evolution of C++
>>
>> So the future of humanity is with JVM/Swift/Go/Rust?
>
> Well, it might be D if we are able to convince people.

You don't need to convince people.  The proof is in the pudding.
Instead, a reddit explains much of this
------------------------------- title:   Why is D unpopular?
https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/q74bzr/why_is_d_unpopular/

reply to first comment by
koczurekk
2y ago :
randomguy4q5b3ty
4mo ago   In that sense, I have always felt that D's features are
just too general for their own good.

-------------------------
So, D is missing the KISS principle, Keep It Simple, Stupid!  Do
one thing and one thing well. Trying to be jack of all trades
will make an expert in none.

So! Where does D have unmet potential to shine, and a pre-emptive
strike against the rise of rivals, including Rust, and zombie
language Java?

My answer:  Industrial Robotics

If we can get a core rock solid industrial robotics set of
libraries, D will sell itself.  And the C, C++, Java/C++ and
endless variants of C#, Objective C, this entire family of C
descendants -- can move for 1 thing and 1 thing well, to D.

Is D Lang willing to take on such a task?  Why or why not. What
would need to happen for this?