On the panel discussion at Dconf day 3

harakim harakim at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 03:22:49 UTC 2024

On Friday, 22 March 2024 at 08:58:14 UTC, surfcrone wrote:
> IVY = bureaucracy + religion, recipe for disaster, and we are
> already seeing the effects: the language is now in a deep
> freeze state

Hah! I can see why you think that to be sure. I just feel
differently. Sometimes you have to slow down to speed up. By
stabilizing the language, all the things D is missing will start
coming into play like libraries, IDE support and so forth. A vast
majority of tools and libraries built with D will not compile
today so are unavailable. Imagine if you built a tool and it
worked forever, like in Java or C#. Instead of constantly needing
to rebuild old tools and libraries, you could work on new ones.
That's what problem they are solving. Additionally, the editor
issue is getting help with the language server and other things.
I think if editions are done right, you will see D in the top 20
tiobe index finally and that alone will give it a bump in
popularity.
   I even think OpenD will be a good thing for D. Mainline D will
continue to attract companies and people who want stability.
OpenD seems to be moving towards a more modern entry-level
approach with a single tool to do everything and including tons
of libraries from the get-go. The cross pollination is going to
be hard to compete with. Adam Ruppe is one of the best developers
I know and the Mainline D language has some of the brightest
minds in language development. In short, I have never been more
excited about D!