[Dlang-internal] Regression control & breaking changes policies

Walter Bright via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 6 20:55:30 PST 2016

On 12/6/2016 5:56 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MINOR REGRESSSION

BTW, my uncle was a research chemist for a pharmaceutical company in
Switzerland. He told me long ago that there was no such thing as a drug without
harmful side effects. All drugs have a "therapeutic index", which is the ratio
of the good they do vs the harm. The researcher's job was to make that index as
high as he could.

It's the same with any real world product. Nothing could be built if, for
example, safety is a top priority that trumps all else. Of course, companies and
governments always say that safety is their top priority, but that's because
they're forced to by the media who will excoriate them for saying anything else.

We do need processes and rules, but they should serve as guides for good
judgement, not as substitutes for good judgement.

And that's where we need your help and judgement - in deciding what that
"therapeutic index" is for the PRs on a case by case basis.