[Dlang-internal] 16th Planning

Martin Nowak via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 9 22:34:52 PST 2016

A few days too late, planning for the upcoming ~2.5 weeks (next planning
on 2016-12-22, also see calendar [ยน]).

Agenda:
- delaying 2.073?
- finish scope story
- CTFE update
- mangling abbreviations need feedback
- hopefully time for library array ops
- calendar
- <plese add your own>

====================

# delaying 2.073?

There are still a few issues I'd like to address in a 2.072.2 point
release, namely default-PIE on Ubuntu 16.10 and a few 2.071 regressions.
That hardly leaves time for a 2.073 beta before Christmas holidays.
Also we inherited plenty of bugs and 2 weeks delay from 2.072.0, so it's
a bit early for 2.073.
I'd propose to move the beta to CW 1 of 2017, with the release following
2 weeks later.

# finish scope story

We've lost plenty of time already, and there has been little progress on
all the non-code work necessary to release this, phobos still doesn't
build. Instead we entangle in long discussions on fundamental but
tangential issues.

So let's please try to finish any remaining code issues, clarify
outstanding questions, and getting the testing done. At best within the
next 2 weeks, so we can get working on the non-code parts of the feature.
As a reminder from last planning, non-code parts means documentation,
changelog, an introductionary article, and at best an RC/Unique/WeakRef
prototype library on dub.

Also created a scope branch for dlang.org
(https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/tree/scope) to integrate docs for
the scope feature.
If changes to druntime or phobos become necessary (shouldn't), just
branch of a scope branch from master for those repos as well.
Please ask if anything is uncler.

I can take over the RC/Unique/WeakRef prototype once we have a somewhat
working preview scope compiler (e.g. one that can compile phobos).

# CTFE

Just merged the first chunk of the CTFE work into the newCTFE feature
branch.
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6186
Stefan is steadily adding features. Will have another call in the next
few days to review (and merge) all the work from last month.

# mangling abbreviation

This is approaching a nice state.
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/5855
Still need to get feedback from Iain Buclaw and Walter.

# library array ops

I my time permits, I'd want to finish the library array ops
implementation. Not too realistic though.

https://trello.com/c/TNCQ6xBk/85-templated-library-arrayop-implementation-also-fixes-issue-15619-and-issue-16680

# public calendar

Just one comment, if you add dates, please make sure to include the
exact meetup/user group/location/conference. Just a title of a talk is
not that informative for a globally shared calendar ;).

If someone else is hosting D events, just let me know, or also become an
admin on the calendar.