[Dlang-internal] 17th Planning (Christmas Edition), Dec 22 - Jan 12

Martin Nowak via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 25 05:15:43 PST 2016

Shortest planning ever!

Agenda:
- 2.072.2
- 2.073.0-b1
- scope/DIP1000
- CTFE
- feature branches
- CI & auto-merge
- <your topic here>

========

# 2.072.2, the PIE release, ETA 2016-12-31

Will come with a couple of regression fixes, see
https://trello.com/b/XoFjxiqG/active?filter=label:2.072.

Most notably, we enabled PIC on linux amd64 by default to make dmd
work out-of-the-box on distributions with PIE-by-default.
It was already possible to build PIE executables when linking against
the shared phobos library (using -fPIC -defaultlib=phobos2.so), now it
will also possible to build PIE when linking against the static phobos
library (using -fPIC).

-fPIC was added to the default DFLAGS in dmd.conf, please update the
dmd.conf files and corresponding packages for other distributions

https://trello.com/c/E1LU0SAe/269-issue-16794-deb-not-working-on-ubuntu-16-10-because-of-default-pie-linking

# 2.073.0-b1, ETA 2017-01-04

Merge window is closing, so we have somewhat of a feature freeze for
master until 2.073.0-b1.
Please finish (or revert) open/unfinished work and make use of the
2.073.0-b1 milestones on Github, e.g.
https://github.com/dlang/phobos/milestone/11.

# scope/DIP1000

DIP1000 is getting ready, for a preview build of the scope feature
branch see http://forum.dlang.org/post/o39t7h$t4l$1@digitalmars.com.

A preview of the feature (-dip1000) is supposed to be included with
2.073.0/master.
We're currently fixing the few remaining bugs w/o that switch and do
some final acceptance tests of the design, so it can get merged in time.

# CTFE

We've been reviewing and merging chunks of the new CTFE interpreter
into the newCTFE feature branch.
The next review session will follow suit, and I hope we might soon get
a preview build of the feature.

# What the hack are feature branches?

A tool to continuously review and integrate bigger feature during
development. Please help to find a better name :).
https://wiki.dlang.org/Story_Branches

# CI & auto-merge

Quite some improvements on getting the project tester working
(ci.dawg.eu). We plan for a major overhaul during Jan (18th planning),
using Jenkins pipelines and a faster server.
Still interested in any help from CI, devops, admin pros.

We've also integrated a still experimental auto-merge feature in
dlang-bot (https://github.com/dlang-bots/dlang-bot/pull/17).

========

As always, look at the Done 16 list on
https://trello.com/b/XoFjxiqG/active for review.

Still interested in getting more admins for the dlang calendar, please
integrate your local Meetups.
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=ut29n9vq9vu3ad4kbaabeed1d8%40group.calendar.google.com

-Martin