[Dlang-internal] 15th Planning (national congress edition)

Dicebot via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 10 05:17:35 PST 2016

On 11/10/2016 02:01 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
> # fix remaining 2.072 regressions
>
> 2.072.0 was quite bumpy and we need to fixup a few more regressions that
> showed up. One reason for this is still the long 2.071 release period,
> but there have been some discussions about fixing some underlying causes
> and improving on testing (see CI testing below).
> We should get this done within the next 3 weeks, so we can polish 2.072.

This is my current main priority and I am aiming for 2.072.1 beta in 1
week, unless you have any objections. Currently reducing and making
bugzilla issues for all found regressions, will give a go at fixing them
after.

> # finish scope story

> In any case we should make the scope feature releasable within the next
> 4-5 weeks.
> Including documentation, changelog, an introductionary article, and at
> best an RC/Unique/WeakRef prototype library on dub.

On my own TODO list for scope:

- enhance exiting test cases to include more real-world examples based
on our discussions
- rewrite DIP1000 to reflect actual implementation
- enable DIP25 by default in master (aiming 2.073)

I'd also like to discuss enhancement for the proposal which would remove
the different between ref and pointer handling in lifetime analysis and
would allow to merge `return ref` and `return scope` into one entity (at
cost of loosing some features that I consider of no practical use). This
is not necessary but would be nice to consider before design get set in
stone.

As I have already mentioned before, would be really useful to get a
dedicated trello board (or at least a column in existing one) to track
all small todo points regarding scope implementation. Ongoing problem in
new D features is that last 20% of any implementation gets forgotten in
process of development and when it released, it heavily lacks polish
required to make good impression.

(I don't have admin access to trello board btw, don't know if it is
intentional or accidental)

On a DIP status - final judgement for DIP1001 and DIP1002 will be
published as soon as Andrei finds time to write a formal response. There
were no new changes in their respective documents since last mention.

There are two new unmerged proposal PRs that are in pretty close to
getting into queue. I will only merge them after response to previous
ones is published to ensure no new requirements appear.