[Dlang-internal] DIP1000 discussion and testing

Dicebot via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 16 06:45:42 PDT 2016

So, there is a pull request (https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/5972)
which is intended to implement DIP1000
(https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1000.md).

Problem is that Walter wants to prioritize moving on with it (which is
reasonable) but the PR is too complicated to be reviewed by most other
developers.

Trying to solve it, I have been experimenting lately with various
acceptance tests trying to come up with useful design snippets enabled
by that PR. Rationale is that if actual semantics are clear and examples
are all validated as included test cases, review of the code itself
becomes less important.

I'd like to have more open feedback about it because in its current
shape PR5972 doesn't seem useful enough to me to be merged at all - and
much less powerful than DIP1000 seemed to promise.

I'll start separate sub-threads with more details.