[Dlang-internal] DIP1000 discussion and testing: RC pointer snippet

Walter Bright via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 16 13:15:00 PDT 2016

On 10/16/2016 1:03 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> Where does it come from?

It comes from trying to compile code with the new safety checks, and having it
fail to compile and require adding annotations all over the place. The idea is
to infer such annotations in the obvious places. 'return' was already
successfully inferred in many places, this just extends an existing practice.

> I don't see any mention of such deduction in
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1000.md

It's one of those things that becomes necessary once trying to implement it.

> and it doesn't look like a good idea at all.

Inferring 'scope' and 'return' as much as possible makes @safe much more
palatable. All I can say is try to break it!