[Dlang-internal] DIP1000 discussion and testing

pineapple via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 21 01:30:54 PDT 2016

On Friday, 21 October 2016 at 05:41:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> What you're looking at is I'm not very good at articulating the
> mental model I have for it. I don't know how to write 'formal'
> rules for these things.

If we're going to go through the DIP process, you're going to
have to try. There's this big language enhancement in the
pipeline and I still have only a tenuous understanding of what
it's meant to do and an even more tenuous understanding of how
it's meant to be an improvement. Your mental model needs to be
stated in concise, unambiguous terms before the rest of us can
catch up and be able to consent to having the language we all use
modified in such a way.

The DIP process is annoying and obtuse as hell, but it does exist
for a reason. Your proposals should be held to the same standards
as the rest of us, because changes to the language affect all of
us.