[Dlang-internal] DIP1000 discussion and testing

Walter Bright via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 24 12:35:22 PDT 2016

On 10/24/2016 1:13 AM, Stefam Koch wrote:
> That argument can go two ways.
> Since we are already years late another month won't matter that much.

That doesn't work as an argument. Being later makes things worse, not
irrelevant. Memory safety is constantly growing in importance. It is a key
advantage D can have over C/C++ - one they will have great difficulty matching.

> D's main advantage is hindsight and careful consideration of complexity versus
> power!
> We should stick to those values and trying to beat someone in a marketing hype.

It's not a question of beating. It is a question of becoming irrelevant. We lose
design wins constantly because of this issue.