[Dlang-internal] DIP1000 discussion and testing

Martin Nowak via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 25 17:51:45 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 at 07:36:39 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/22/2016 4:22 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>> Walter, would you mind showing reference counted example that
>> actually
>> works under your implementation?
>
> I can't, because I'm waiting for Andrei to make available what
> he considers a correct ref counted design.

We were working on that about more than a year ago when return
ref landed. It didn't solve the escape problem for classes, but
we have fairly solid understanding how a baseline implementation
for unique, ref-counted, and weak-ref ownership should work.
Since those are primitives, we should be able to use them for the
design of scope w/o a concrete RC.

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/3259

If necessary, I can finish the rewrite to inform further
discussion.