[Dlang-internal] dmd semver experiment

user1234 user1234 at 12.nl
Wed Dec 27 05:59:28 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 at 16:50:36 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 10:48:15 UTC, Martin Nowak
> wrote:
>> v7.6.0+2.076.0
>> v7.6.0-b1+2.076.0-b1
>> v7.6.0-b2+2.076.0-b2
>> v7.6.0-rc1+2.076.0-rc1
>> v7.6.1+2.076.1
>> v7.6.1-b1+2.076.1-b1
>> v7.7.0-beta.1+2.077.0-beta.1
>> v7.7.0-beta.2+2.077.0-beta.2
>> v7.7.0-rc.1+2.077.0-rc.1
>
> This does not make sense as we all know that major version is 2
> so why not tag it appropriately with v2.76.0

Yes, i don't see why this wouldn't go this way.
If you continue developing the language as you do since years,
this scheme works fine, despite of the "2" that's not really
useful.

> or v2.7.6-0

For this to work they'd have to change the way they develop. Also
where /when to start with the new scheme not very clear.

The first proposition works well because there's a minor release
every 3 months, between patches and the optional component can be
used to tag betas and release candidates.

Maybe i'm blind or stupid but

<language version>.<minor release every 3 months>.<unplanned
patches>

etc would work fine.