[Dlang-internal] Using phobos in conjunction with the compiler code

RazvanN via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Wed May 24 03:40:42 PDT 2017

After I compiled the parser as a library I wanted to test it to
see if it successfully parses the phobos code. The code I am
using is the following:

// test_parser.d
import std.stdio;
import std.file;

import ddmd.parse;
import ddmd.astbase;

import ddmd.id;
import ddmd.globals;

void main()
{
     string path = "../../phobos/std/";
     string regex = "*.d";

     // parser initializations
     Id.initialize();
     global._init();
     global.params.isLinux = true;
     global.params.is64bit = (size_t.sizeof == 8);
     ASTBase.Type._init();

     // get recursively all the .d files
     auto dFiles = dirEntries(path, regex, SpanMode.depth);
     foreach (d; dFiles)
     {
         writeln("Processing:", d.name);

         // comment the following line and it works
         string content = readText(d.name);

         scope p = new Parser!ASTBase(null, content, false);
         p.nextToken();
         p.parseModule();

         writeln("Finished!");

This code fails with segmentation fault. The dFiles iterator gets
broken somehow. If the line which reads a file is commented, than
the code works. Also, if the parser imports are commented
(ddmd.astbase and ddmd.parse) and all the lines of code which use
code from those modules are commented, it also works.

I compiled the lexer and the parser with the following targets:

$G/lexer.a: $(LEXER_SRCS) $(LEXER_ROOT)
»   CC=$(HOST_CXX) $(HOST_DMD_RUN) -lib -of$@ $(MODEL_FLAG)
-I/tmp/.host_dmd-2.072.2/dmd2/src/druntime/import/ -J$G
-L-lstdc++ $(DFLAGS) $(LEXER_SRCS) $(LEXER_ROOT)

$G/parser.a: $(PARSER_SRCS) $G/lexer.a $(ROOT_SRCS)
»   CC=$(HOST_CXX) $(HOST_DMD_RUN) -lib -of$@ $(MODEL_FLAG)
-I/tmp/.host_dmd-2.072.2/dmd2/src/druntime/import/ -J$G
-L-lstdc++ $(DFLAGS) $(PARSER_SRCS) $G/lexer.a $(ROOT_SRCS)
-Iddmd -J../res/

Then, the test file is compiled as follows:

parser_test: $G/parser.a test_parser.d
»   CC=$(HOST_CXX) $(HOST_DMD_RUN) -of$@ $(MODEL_FLAG) -vtls -J$G
-L-lstdc++ $(DFLAGS) -I$G $G/lexer.a $G/parser.a test_parser.d
-Iddmd -J../res/

I thought it may be a mismatch between the versions of druntime
used for the compilation of the lexer and parser libraries and
the one used for phobos. So I recompiled druntime (master->head)
with the latest stable dmd (2.072.2) and then compiled phobos
(master->head) with the aforementioned dmd and druntime, still I
get the segfault.

I also tried to compile the lexer and the parser using -conf=
-defaultlib= -debuglib= and then I tried to pass the path to
druntime with -I when compiling test_parser.d, but running the
program also ends with segmentation fault.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thank you,
RazvanN