[Dlang-internal] dmd semver experiment

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 06:26:14 UTC 2018

On 4/6/18 02:49, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 March 2018 at 18:25:44 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 10:48:15 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>>> v8.0.0 - Jan 1 2018
>>> v8.0.x - unscheduled patch releases
>>> v8.1.0 - Mar 1 2018
>>> v8.1.x - unscheduled patch releases
>>> v8.2.0 - May 1 2018
>>> v8.2.x - unscheduled patch releases
>>> v9.0.0 - Jul 1 2018
>>> v9.0.x - unscheduled patch releases
>>> v9.1.0 - Sep 1 2018
>>> v9.1.x - unscheduled patch releases
>>> v9.2.0 - Nov 1 2018
>>> v9.2.x - unscheduled patch releases
>>> v10.0.0 - Jan 1 2019
>>> v10.0.x - unscheduled patch releases
>>
>> Would make sense to release previews of the upcoming major release,
>> maybe every other month to stick with todays pace.
>
> These versions make no sense at all as they have no meaning. Why making
> the change in the major version after 6 months? The API changes during
> that time may be minimal...
>
> After seeing this I would propose you start doing similar what Java guys
> decided to do starting with the Java 18.3 (also called Java 10) - to use
> increments from 0 up...

I completely agree with this. I use some variation of year.month.x(.y)
for all my projects. The point in time is non-arbitrary information and
encoding it will make identifying builds that are compatible with given
modules simpler: 18.x, 18.6, etc.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender