[Dlang-internal] Potential changes to DDoc

aliak something at something.com
Fri Feb 2 01:22:31 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 13:42:39 UTC, Sebastian Wilzbach
wrote:
> On 2018-01-27 09:08, Mike Parker via Dlang-internal wrote:
>> And here we've got someone who's not only willing to do it, but
>> actually implementing it! We ought to run with it.

+1

> I can't agree more with your words, Mike.
> DDoc is already super-hard for people to get used to as it's
> very un-intuitive and relies on many under-documented features.
> My vote is fully on "implement as much Markdown as possible
> without brekage". Everything else will be annoying.

+1

I do remember getting a bit frustrated because I just wanted to
document and continue coding, but I couldn't "just". I mean I
don't mind having to learn yet another doc language, but I'd
prefer not to, is all I'm saying.

Of course there'll be ddoc specific things (standard sections for
eg, ditto is a big help), but it really is quite ugly to see all
those macros when markdown is just so much easier on the eyes
(and aesthetics do matter a lot),  and on ---/```, my instinct is
to write ``` for code blocks - because everyone else does, github
does, bitbucket, slack, and many apps just follow the same,
because people are used to it. New comers will just know how to
write docs without having to dig through ddoc docs, it just seems
a win/win to just support markdown, and call it that.