[Dlang-internal] The Phantom Zone

qznc qznc at web.de
Tue Jan 16 18:32:22 UTC 2018

On Monday, 15 January 2018 at 01:10:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> PRs banished to the Phantom Zone would have to have an
> explanatory comment saying why.

I would suggest an alternative approach: Automate it.

1. When there is no activity on a PR for one month, the bot pings
the author and asks for the status.

2. When there is no activity on a PR for four months, the bot
pings three random other people and asks them to adopt the PR.
Maybe it can be more clever then "random" and look at what files
are touched or something.

3. When there is no activity on a PR for half a year, the bot
leaves a short comment "no activity for half a year." and closes
the PR.

If someone wants to keep a PR alive it only takes single comment
every six months.

I doubt that there is any PR which got zero activity for six
months, yet was successfully merged later.