[Dlang-internal] Potential changes to DDoc

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 08:08:08 UTC 2018

On Friday, 26 January 2018 at 07:11:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/25/2018 7:59 AM, John Gabriele wrote:
>> What do you think about supporting two modes of operation:
>
> Multiple modes makes things even worse :-(

As a matter of practicality, and from a maintenance cost
perspective, I agree with everything you've said in this thread.
 From a "first five minutes" point of view, I have to disagree.

Supporting a half-assed "Markdownish" syntax, where some Markdown
bits work and others don't, where fenced code blocks require
"---" and backticks are unsupported, is bound to be a point of
frustration to someone giving D a legitimate look.

This is one of those ecosystem things like IDE support that maybe
by itself won't be enough to turn people away, but on a list of
cons it will carry weight. If we're going to support Markdown in
Ddoc, then we ought to really support Markdown. Failure to go
whole hog on this is just going to create one more pain point for
people motivated to look, but not motivated to leave their
comfort zone.

And here we've got someone who's not only willing to do it, but
actually implementing it! We ought to run with it.