[Dlang-internal] dmd semver experiment

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue May 15 19:41:16 UTC 2018

On 5/15/2018 11:51 AM, Johan Engelen wrote:
> I think the "need" of people is exaggerated, and I feel is often argued from
> purely ones own point of view.
> Shouldn't a professional language lean towards "conservative"?

We've worked hard to provide fixes and enhancements to support Weka, Remedy,
Sociomantic, and others who tell me they need this stuff right away. I am not in
a position to tell them what they need, although I am guilty of that from time
to time :-)

We've had slower release cycles in the past, and those were just as strongly
condemned for being slow.

Hence the fundamental tension between those positions.

One option is to more actively participate in the Beta release programs, to
identify critical regressions before release.

A good thing is that the D test suite gets added to from every regression, so
they won't happen again.