[Dlang-internal] A Proof of Concept for the baremetal D runtime plans

mbalantz arbofo at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 23:20:13 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-28 5:43 p.m., Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Friday, 26 April 2019 at 01:24:21 UTC, mbalantz wrote:
>> Hello, my name is Mark Balantzyan, an aspiring developer and Google
>> Summer of Code 2019 applicant. It took much varied realizations of
>> discernment between what is permissible in C and C++ but not in D
>> during my development of this proof of concept. I would hope to say I
>> have ported it, however I am not entirely sure as the output complains
>> of linker errors though producing an executable.
>
> A few questions:
> * What are the linker errors?
> * What hardware architecture are you running on?
> * Is it truly bare metal, are is there an underlying OS?
> * Looking at the source code, it appears SDL is doing the heavy
> lifting.  Perhaps it is SDL that needs porting?
>
> Mike

* The linker errors complain about undefined symbols and mention
alphanumeric strings as reference, containing the SDL binding for D
keywords and SDL keywords as per the functions that used them in the
pongd.d file.

* I downloaded and installed the dmd compiler on x86_64 Windows 10
Education on an AMD Ryzen 1950X. Therefore:

* ..it is not truly baremetal. I intended to share it to show a demo,
and then maybe we could look into reverse engineering it to be
baremetal. Though I don't know if I picked a good demo for running
baremetal (i.e. a pong game).

* Yes, it is quite dependent on SDL. Porting SDL to D would be no small
task, I would think? I tried using the bindbc bindings provided in D's
library to provide the SDL. Though that is not sufficient? The linker
errors complain of undefined symbols for a lot of SDL functions.

Thanks for you reply,
Mark