[Dlang-internal] Years-old debts in the language/compiler/docs

Petar Petar
Fri Jul 29 08:17:02 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 17:46:35 UTC, Vladimir Marchevsky
wrote:
> It is quite discouraging to see things here and there being
> abandoned.

There are tons of improvements happening all the time done by
various contributors. I'm sure you can find other examples of
things that don't seem to get improved, but the truth is that
building a language ecosystem is pretty big endeavor (*) and
there will always be parts that seem under developed. I suggest
you observe the awesome work that many contributors are pouring
in, before jumping to conclusions:

Check the changelog for the last 5-10 major releases:
* https://dlang.org/changelog/index.html

Language implementation:
*
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pulls?q=is%3Apr+sort%3Aupdated-desc+is%3Aclosed

Language documentation:
*
https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pulls?q=is%3Apr+sort%3Aupdated-desc+is%3Aclosed

Dub package manager
*
https://github.com/dlang/dub/pulls?q=is%3Apr+sort%3Aupdated-desc+is%3Aclosed

As for std.experimental.logger, it's currently in the process
being promoted out of experimental:

* https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/8489
* https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/8486

(*) this is not an excuse. All issues that you pointed are real
and must be taken care of. I'm just saying that you should adjust
your expectations based on the scope of a project like this and
the contributor's priorities and available time.