[Dlang-internal] druntime: proposed changes in code organization

Johan j at j.nl
Wed Dec 13 17:43:06 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 2 December 2023 at 08:10:57 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
wrote:
> On Friday, 1 December 2023 at 12:53:55 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>
>> Thank you, now I have a better understanding what a tag is.
>> Correct me if I'm wrong so these tags are like "feature
>> defines" similarly to a boatload of C defines that you must
>> define for certain C-libraries.
>
> No, if I correctly understand this "C features defines" concept
>
>> Will these tags eventually become version identifiers inside
>> the code?
>
> No
>
>> Also one question if the tags are visible inside the D code or
>> just outside the code in the build system?
>
> Tags are visible only for druntime build system

How is this going to work for cross-compilation with _one_
compiler druntime? LDC is a cross-compiler and uses the same
source files for any target. A single LDC installation must be
able to compile to any target platform, i.e. with a single
druntime installation. (target-dependent copying of files by the
compiler build system does not fulfill that requirement)
To me, it sounds like your changes make separate druntime
installations per target. This is not acceptable for LDC. But
perhaps I misunderstood your changes.

-Johan