[Dlang-internal] druntime: proposed changes in code organization

Johan j at j.nl
Sat Dec 16 18:59:50 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 16 December 2023 at 18:44:00 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 December 2023 at 18:09:57 UTC, Johan wrote:
>> On Saturday, 16 December 2023 at 13:04:27 UTC, Denis
>> Feklushkin wrote:

>>> It seems to me, for proposed druntime switching, syntax of
>>> /etc/ldc2.conf already contains all necessary things?
>>
>> I remain my stance that this is unacceptable. You are forcing
>> a big change on a system that already works, without a real
>> benefit.
>
> Make sure what you read benefits list:
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/15822#issue-1996484133

Much of your list are not benefits, just removing things from the
source code that you find "ugly" I guess. For example, removing
`version (Linux):` is not a benefit; it's just developer taste,
with no benefit for the user.

I understand that for you currently the situation is not nice.
But it is not a good solution to make life good for you, and make
it worse for the status quo. A custom druntime or non-standard OS
is not a very common case.

-Johan