[Dlang-study] [lifetime] On Existing Owning Types - A useful stopgap?

Matt Kline matt at bitbashing.io
Mon Nov 2 21:03:21 PST 2015

While this research group's initial and foremost focus is on the
future of lifetimes and reference counting in D, the existing
owning types still need improvement. Though not safe from escapes
(as Andrei has demonstrated) they, at the very least, prove to be
a useful stopgap while new language work is done.

Unique and RefCounted have suffered from bit rot and should be
revamped to remove some of their warts and historical
restrictions. A few months back, I worked successfully with
Martin Nowak, Dicebot, and Jakob Ovrum to fix up Unique
(https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3139).
Unfortunately it was backed out right before 2.068 due to a few
lingering issues surrounding destruction of objects referenced
via their interfaces. As far as I know, Martin did some later
work at https://github.com/MartinNowak/phobos/tree/smartRefs
before being drawn away by other concerns, and I disappeared due
to some events in my personal life. Hopefully Martin sees this,
as I'd love to coordinate and put what finishing touches remain
to get Unique (hopefully followed by RefCounted) into an improved
state, but I don't know how to best contact him "out of band".

You can find the dialogue surrounding these changes at the
previously-linked PR (#3139), and also
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3225. I'd
love to get feedback regarding the semantics discussed there.