[Dlang-study] [rcstring] Defining rcstring

Михаил Страшун public at dicebot.lv
Tue Feb 2 16:12:38 PST 2016

> Hello everyone,
>
> Let's reboot this list with a simpler discussion: rcstring, a
> reference-counted string. My initial thoughts:

Quick proposal before discussion gets hot - I see several orthogonal
topics in your initial mail and it would be nice to actually create a
different mail thread for each to stay focused. It is just too simply to
start going circles when topics are interleaved.

The way I read it there are 3 different topics that have no direct
relation to each other but all needs to be addressed as part of [rcstring]:

1. actual reference counting implementation (have it been
discussed/decided before?)
2. making use of opportunity of new string type and getting its encoding
semantics right
3. interaction of `const` with reference counting and allowing casting
away const to mutate refcount

There is also topic of idiomatic sharing semantics for new string type
but it feels closely tied to (3).

Andrei, if that distinction makes sense to you, would you mind branching
your first mail into 3 new roots for discussion? For example:
"[rcstring] [rc]", "[rcstring] [API]", "[rcstring] [(im)mutability]".