[dmd-beta] dmd 1.058 and 2.043 beta

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Wed Apr 7 11:23:19 PDT 2010

Robert Clipsham wrote:

> Before the final release of this is there any chance you could include
> some of the patches in bugzilla, or comment on why they haven't been
> included? There's 68 issues that aren't enhancements in bugzilla that
> have patches, I know you've commented on a few of them, it would be
> nice to have some feedback on them though. I wouldn't expect you to
> include all of them for obvious reasons, it'd be nice if you could
> gradually filter through them though.
>
> http://goo.gl/ViGD (Sorry for shortening it, it spanned 5 lines
> otherwise though)
>
> I know this release is primarily to fix the memory corruption issues,
> I'd still like to see some of these included though (such as the debug
> info patches I wrote, otherwise I'll have to keep using my patched
> version of dmd :s)

The reason for this release being in a bit of a hurry is because:

1. Memory corruption problems are a nasty, ugly, soul-sucking problem
for anyone using the compiler. They make the language look really bad.
Rolling out a fix for them is and should be first priority.

2. I'm going to be gone to the ACCU next week, and so won't be working
on the compiler.  I don't think this update can wait.

The dwarf patches you wrote are very important and I wanted to get them
in, but there isn't time. The existing patches have already destabilized
the build & test enough :-(

Also, I'm spending my time preparing for the ACCU (Andrei and I were
invited to do a full day tutorial on D, yay!) which is important as we
want to get D's best foot forward. It's a great opportunity for D.