[dmd-beta] dmd 1.063 and 2.048 beta

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 19:45:52 PDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 8:56 PM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> I ask because it takes me several hours to get to a release build, just to find another unrelated problem.

What? That really shouldn't be! Maybe it's time to set up continuous integration.

If you're not familiar, it's basically would do the following in sequence:
1. Detect a commit to dmd
2. Rebuild the dmd executable
3. Run dmd test suite
4. Rebuild druntime
5. Run druntime tests (if they exist)
6. Rebuild phobos
7. Run phobos unit tests
8. Bundle a release package
9. Post everything to a folder/website
10. Send any emails

Obviously, if any error is encountered, it will jump to #9. There's even desktop apps with a status icon so you can passively see the status.

As far as iterations for dmd-beta, it should be as simple as checking in your fix and just wait for the server/beta testers to validate the release.