[dmd-beta] dmd 1.062 and 2.047 beta

Steve Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 14:55:58 PDT 2010

----- Original Message ----
> From: Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com>
> Right. I think Don made a pretty good case. One
> thing he didn't mention
> is that there are too many version numbers, adding
> two more each month
> makes the list completely impractical sooner or
> later.

impractical how?  I can manage it just fine.  If I want to find all D2 bugs, I just select the first D2 version, then shift click the last version.  It takes all of 5 seconds.

What's happening now is, people are selecting 'future', or I guess now they will select 'D2', and then report their compiler/phobos version in the report text, which is much harder to search for.

How would I search for bugs reported before or since some version?  Going by date doesn't work, as I've said before.  People do not update their compilers often, as the process is somewhat of a pain.

I don't know what the resistance is to having more information...  Do others besides Don and you feel the version numbers have no value?  Namely, I'm asking phobos developers who fix bugs, not dmd developers.

-Steve