[dmd-beta] dmd 1.059 and 2.044 beta

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sat May 1 08:27:51 PDT 2010

On 01/05/10 16:17, Jason House wrote:
> Which debugger is best to use with Ubuntu (and dmd)? I plan a fresh
> install of 10.04 this weekend.

If you don't mind compiling from source then I'd use gdb 7.1 with the
patches from:

http://sourceware.org/git/?p=gdb.git;a=patch;h=870850ddab624f9d0111a4a0733cf7f5edf9bf91;hp=5f38666e4d2282a3407a0266a889a5be14ad5c74

(Scroll down to the line "diff --git a/gdb/ChangeLog b/gdb/ChangeLog",
the diff is from there down)

This way you get a stable version of gdb with the D patches applied.
Alternatively you could use the latest version from git/cvs. The final
option is to use plain old gdb from the ubuntu repos. As long as you
don't want to print strings it'll be fine :)

I seem to recall there was a dgdb package around somewhere for ubuntu, I
don't know where though, and it's probably out of date.

Of course which ever route you take make sure you compile with -gc, as
-g isn't supported, even with the D patches for gdb.