[dmd-beta] Hopefully the last betas

David Simcha dsimcha at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 16:01:19 PDT 2010

  Basically works for me.  There is one issue, though, that I don't
think is a showstopper for this release but highlights a very bad
long-term issue that I'd really like to address sooner rather than later.

In Phobos right now, you can no longer do lowerBound, canFindSorted,
etc. on a const/immutable array due to 3 bugs in SortedRange.  Two of
these are trivially fixable (look at the code for save() and opSlice())
but the third isn't.  release() calls move() on the range.  This doesn't
work for const/immutable arrays.

In general bug reports are piling up in Bugzilla about how defective
std.range and std.algorithm are when dealing w/ const/immutable ranges
and elements.  D's lack of tail const makes this essentially impossible
to deal with on a generic level (though for arrays specifically the fix
is trivial, but I don't want to just special-case things in supposedly
generic code).  This is an entire class of bugs that we just don't know
how to fix.  Ideas?