[dmd-beta] Time for a new beta?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 20 17:02:43 PDT 2011

On Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:39:22 Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> 3. I tried to remove some more (currently soft) deprecation messages
> regarding std.ctype, and it turned out that it was a bit of a hassle to
> get it to compile because I had to mix both std.ascii and std.uni. This
> is happening because I'd like to use the isAlpha from std.uni, but there
> are other functions missing from std.uni (like isDigit, isHexDigit, etc.).
>
> I think this was discussed before, but I'm not sure what the conclusion
> was. I suggest adding some forwarding aliases to std.uni for function
> that have identical implementation, and ensure that the compiler does
> not complain about ambiguities if these are just aliases to the same symbol.

All calls to functions in std.ctype should be replaced either with functions
in std.ascii or functions std.uni. Functions with the identical names do the
same thing except that those in std.uni operate on unicode, and those in
std.ascii only operate on ascii (they still work with unicode characters; they
just ignore them). If you need to use both std.ascii and std.uni, then you
need to fully qualify them - e.g. std.ascii.isUpper or std.uni.isAlpha - or
you need to create aliases for them.

- Jonathan M Davis