[dmd-beta] 64 bit beta for Linux

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sun Feb 6 17:08:35 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Do _not_ expect your code to work if you compile with ddoc enabled.

That's what I was afraid of ;-) The dmd command line interface suggests
that you could do so, and so does Visual D. I'd hate to do have to split
it into two commands, as this will probably double the compilation time.
>> - after fixing that, the linker complained with this:
>> m:\s\d\dmd2\dmd\src\..\..\lib\phobos.lib(datetime)  Error 162: Bad Type
>> Index reference to type 1003
>>
>> which boiled down to the linker not liking the type information written
>> for "enum DayOfWeek : ubyte". Using int as the base type fixed it, but I
>> guess this is not intended. I could not reproduce the error with a small
>> test file, though. While trying to narrow it down, I had to browse
>> through std.datetime. This is really difficult due to the unittests
>> distracting from the actual code so much. Actually I added a function to
>> visuald to remove them all shrinking the file to a quarter of its size.
>> I'm impressed by the completeness of the tests, but I would prefer to
>> find them in a separate file.
>>

> DayOfWeek is supposed to be ubyte. It doesn't need more space than that. I
> haven't seen any problem with it before, so I don't know what the problem is
> there. It _should_ work just fine.

It seems I can build phobos with dmd from the master branch and visuald
from my branch and the problem goes away, so it's probably one of my
debugging patches that causes the problems here.

>> - I'm still using the d_time functions (e.g. std.file.getTimes), but it
>> seems the conversion from SysTime is wrong by a month (plus an hour, but
>> that might be due to wrong timezone settings).
>>

> If you find in any bugs in std.datetime, please report them with as much
> information as is reasonably possible - including what your local time zone is
> and what OS you're on (that matters a lot). As far as I know, there are no bugs
> in std.datetime, so if you find any, they need to be reported.

I will try to create a small test tomorrow.

Rainer