[dmd-beta] dmd 2.053 beta

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun May 8 14:03:12 PDT 2011

> On 5/6/2011 9:47 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> > http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd2beta.zip
>
> New beta up with missing files added, updated changelog, and new
> std.parallelism. _______________________________________________
> dmd-beta mailing list
> dmd-beta at puremagic.com

I think that it should be noted in the changelog that the linux version of dmd
now comes with both a 32-bit and 64-bit binary. Not only is this a big deal
that we're releasing a 64-bit binary instead of just a 32-bit binary which
produces 64-bit binaries, but it means that instead of linux/bin, we now have
linux/bin32 and linux/bin64 which will break anything which was depending on
the path being linux/bin. Now, users need to decide whether they want a 32-bit
or 64-bit binary on Linux, and they need to be aware of the change in path -
particulary if they're relying on dmd being in linux/bin.

I think that any changes to the directory structure of src, */bin, or */lib*
as well as changes to dmd.conf should be mentioned in the changelog, because
there are people who rely on them being the way that they are (or in the case
of dmd.conf, who don't actually use dmd.conf) and are going to have problems
when they change if they don't realize that they've changed. I think that it's
perfectly reasonable that they be changed as seems appropriate, but such
changes should be noted in the changelog.

- Jonathan M Davis